Main Article Content
Background: The sensitivity of radiographic examination in the diagnosis and severity assessment of knee osteoarthritis (OA) is still low. Various attempts have been made to find more reliable indicators of cartilage damage. One potential marker is cartilage oligomeric matrix protein (COMP), a substance that in previous animal studies had been shown to be released in proportion to the extent of joint cartilage damage.
Objective: To evaluate the correlation between the severity of knee OA and serum level of COMP in human with normal renal function.
Methods: This was a cross-sectional study performed at the outpatient clinic in Department of Internal Medicine, Sanglah Hospital, Denpasar. The diagnosis of knee OA was based on the American College of Rheumatology (ACR) criteria. The degree
of knee OA severity was determined by using the Kellgren-Lawrence criteria, while COMP values were checked by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) method.
Results: Forty five patients who were recruited were examined: 19 (42.2%) were female and 26 (57.8%) were male. The mean age of patients was 64.1Â±7.1 years. There were 4.4%, 26.7%, 46.7%, and 22.2% patients who had grade 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th degree joint damage based on the Kellgren-Lawrence score, respectively. Mean serum level of COMP was 1081.4 ng/mL. We found a significant correlation of
the severity of knee OA with serum level of COMP (r = 0.41, p = 0.005).
Conclusion: Among the patients in this study, there was a significant correlation between the severity of joint damage in knee OA and serum level of COMP.
- Dieppe P. Osteoarthritis, a clinical features. In: Klippel JH, Stone JH, Crofford LJ, White PH, editors. Primer on the rheumatic diseases. 13th ed. New York: Springer Science Business Media; 2008. p. 224-8.
- Breedveld FC. Osteoarthritis, the impact of a serious disease. Rheumatology 2004;43:14-8.
- Woolf AD, Pfleger B. Burden of major musculoskeletal conditions. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 2003;81(9):646-56.
- Soeroso J, Isbagio H, Kalim H, Broto R, Pramudiyo R. Osteoarthritis [Osteoartritis]. In: Sudoyo, AW, Setiyohadi B, Alwi I, Simadibrata M, Setiati S, editors. Textbook of internal medicine [Buku ajar ilmu penyakit dalam]. 4th ed. Jakarta: Information and Publication Center, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Indonesia School of Medicine [Pusat Informasi dan Penerbitan Departemen Ilmu Penyakit Dalam FKUI]; 2006.
- p. 1205-11.
- Kaparang AMC. Rheumatic disease pattern in rheumatology outpatient clinic Manado Hospital. Acta Medica Indonesiana 1997;28:777-82.
- Putra TR. Knee osteoarthritis [Osteoartritis lutut]. In: Proceedings of the 11th Continuing Medical Education [Buku proseding naskah lengkap Pendidikan Kedokteran Berkelanjutan XI]. Denpasar: Department of Internal Medicine, Udayana University School of Medicine; 2003;23-27.
- Tseng S, Reddi AH, DiCesare PE. Cartilage oligomeric matrix protein (COMP): a biomarker of arthritis. Biomarker Insights 2009;4:33-44.
- Chen FH, Herndon ME, Petel N, Hecht JT, Tuan RS, Lawler J. Interaction of cartilago oligomeric protein/thrombospondin 5 with aggrecan. The J of Biology Chemistery 2007;282(34):24591-8.
- Geng H, Carlsen S, Nandakumar KS, Holmdahl R, Aspberg A, Oldberg A, et al. Cartilage oligomeric matrix protein deficiency promotes early onset and the chronic development of collagen-induced arthritis. Arthritis Research and Therapy 2008;10:1-8.
- Wolheim FA. Early stages of osteoarthritis: the search for sensitive predictors. Ann Rheum Dis 2003;62:1031-2.
- Clark AG, Jordan JM, Vilim V, Renner JB, Dragomir AD, Luta G, et al. Serum cartilage oligomeric matrix protein reflects osteoarthritis presence and severity. Arthritis and Rheumatism 1999;42:2356-64.
- Sastroasmoro S, Ismael S. Basic of clinical research methodology [Dasardasar metodologi penelitian klinis]. Jakarta: Sagung Seto; 2002; 9-17.
- Jordan MJ, Luta G, Stabler T, Renner JB, Dragomir AD, Vilim V, et al. Ethnic and sex differences in serum levels of cartilage oligomeric matrix protein: The Johnston County Osteoarthritis Project. Arthritis and Rheumatism 2003;48(3):675-81.
- Larsson E, Musser A, Heinegard D, Klareskog L, Saxne T. Increased serum levels of cartilage oligomeric matrix protein and bone sialoprotein in rats with collagen arthritis. British J of Rheum 1997;36:1258-61.
- Larsson E, Erlandsson, Haris H, Lorentzen JC, Larsson A, Mansson B, et al. Serum concentrations of cartilage oligomeric matrix protein, fibrinogen and hyaluronan distinguish inflammation and cartilage destruction in experimental arthritis rats. Rheumatology 2002;41:996-1000.
- Petersson IF, Boegard T, Svensson B, Heinegard D, Saxne T. Change in cartilage and bone metabolism identified by serum markers in early osteoarthritis of the knee joint. British J of Rheum 1998;37:46-50.
- Conroizer T, Saxne T, Sei-Fan CS, Mathieu P, Tron AM, Heinegard D, et al. Serum concentrations of cartilage oligomeric matrix protein and bone sialoprotein in hip osteoarthritis: a one year prospective study. Ann Rheum Dis 1998;57:527-32.