Main Article Content
Background: Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) is an autoimmune diseases caused by deposition of immune complex with the involvement of various organ system and certain autoantibodies production. One of the most significant manifestation is neuropsychiatric
symptoms, known as NPSLE (Neuropsychiatric Systemic Lupus Erythematosus). This study aims to portray the distribution of neuropsychiatric manifestation of SLE patients using a screening method in Hasan Sadikin General Hospital.
Method: An observative, descriptive categoric study, with consecutive sampling were done. Data were collected by spreading the questionnaire to subjects diagnosed as SLE who visiting Hasan Sadikin General Hospital during August-October 2016 and by tracing
their medical records. Data analyzed included age, sex, education background, duration of lupus, diagnosis criteria, ongoing therapy, and neuropsychiatric manifestation.
Result: Samples volunteered in this study were 97 patients. Of them 94 patients (96.9%) were women and 47 patients (48.5%) were senior high school graduated. Most common diagnosis criteria found was positive ANA test (91.8%). Most necessary ongoing therapy
given was methylprednisolone (96.9%). Common neuropsychiatric manifestations were mood disorders (73,2%), headache (57,7%), and mononeuropathy (51,5%).
Conclusion: The common psychiatric, central nervous, and peripheral nervous manifestations were mood disorder, headache, and mononeuropathy, respectively.
Keywords: Neuropsychiatry, NPSLE Screening,Systhemic Lupus Erythematosus
- Wallace DJ, Hahn BH. Definition and classification of lupus and lupus related disorders. In: Yazdany J, Dallâ€™Era M, editors. Duboisâ€™ Lupus Erythematosus and Related Syndromes. 8th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders; 2013. p. 1â€“7.
- Longo D, Fauci A, Kasper D, et al. Systemic lupus erythematosus. In: Fauci AS, editor. Harrisonâ€™s Principle of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2011. p. 2724â€“34.
- Feng P. Systemic lupus erythematosus: the face of asia. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2007; 1108:114â€“20.
- Unterman A, Nolte JES, Boaz M, et al. Neuropsychiatric syndromes in systemic lupus erythematosus: a meta-analysis. Semin Arthritis Rheum. Elsevier; 2011;41:1â€“11.
- Liang MH, Corzillius M, Bae SC, et al. The american college of rheumatology nomenclature and case definitions for neuropsychiatric lupus syndromes. Arthritis Rheum. 1999;42(4):599â€“608.
- Pettersson S, LÃ¶vgren M, Eriksson LE, et al. An exploration of patientreported symptoms in systemic lupus erythematosus and the relationship to health-related quality of life. Scand J Rheumatol. 2012;41:383â€“90.
- Zirkzee EJM, Huizinga TWJ, Bollen ELEM, Buchem MA Van, Middelkoop HAM. Mortality in neuropsychiatric systemic lupus erythematosus (NPSLE). Lupus. 2014;23:31â€“8.
- Joseph FG, Scolding NJ. Neurolupus. Pract Neurol. 2010;10:4â€“15.
- Hanly JG. Diagnosis and management of neuropsychiatric SLE. Nat Rev Rheumatol. Nature Publishing Group; 2014;15:1â€“10.
- Wallace DJ, Hahn BH. Clinical Aspects of the Nervous System. In: West SG, editor. Duboisâ€™ Lupus Erythematosus and Related Syndromes. 8th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders; 2013. p. 368â€“81.
- Mosca M, Govoni M, Tomietto P, et al. The development of a simple questionnaire to screen patients with SLE for the presence of neuropsychiatric symptoms in routine clinical practice. Lupus. 2011;20:485â€“92.
- Kundu AK, Maity A. Neuropsychiatric lupus. Med Updat. 2012;22:646â€“52.
- Kampylafka EI, Alexopoulos H, Kosmidis ML, et al. Incidence and prevalence of major central nervous system involvement in systemic lupus erythematosus : a 3-year prospective study of 370 patients. PLoS One. 2013;8(2):1â€“8.
- Chiewthanakul P, Sawanyawisuth K, Foocharoen C, Tiamkao S. Clinical features and predictive factors in neuropsychiatric lupus. Asian Pacific J Allergy Immunol. 2012; 30(1):55â€“60.
- Lalani S, Pope J, Leon F De, Peschken C. Clinical features and prognosis of late-onset systemic lupus erythematosus: results from the 1000 faces of lupus study. J Rheumatol. 2010;37(1):38â€“44.
- Niewold TB, Adler JE, Glenn SB, et al. Age- and sex-related patterns of serum interferon-alpha activity in lupus families. Arthritis Rheum. 2008;58(7):2113â€“9.
- Croog SH. Ethnic origins, educational level, and responses to a health questionnaire. Hum Organ. 1961;20(2):65â€“9.
- Conti F, Alessandri C, Perricone C, et al. Neurocognitive dysfunction in systemic lupus erythematosus: association with antiphospholipid antibodies, disease activity and chronic damage. PLoS One. 2012;7(3):1â€“7.
- Al-shareef A, Attar SM. Central nervous system manifestation in patients with SLE: a 12-year retrospective chart review at a tertiary center. Kuwait Med J. 2014;46(1):14â€“20.
- Abdel-Nasser AM, Ghaleb RM, Mahmoud JA, Khairy W, Mahmoud RM. Association of anti-ribosomal P protein antibodies with neuropsychiatric and other manifestations of systemic lupus erythematosus. Clin Rheumatol. 2008;27:1377â€“85.
- Kim J-M, Kwok S, Ju JH, Kim H, Park S. Idiopathic intracranial hypertension as a significant cause of intractable headache in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus : a 15-year experience. Lupus. 2012;21:542â€“7
- Ward MM. Premature morbidity from cardiovascular and cerebrovasculardiseases in women with systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum. 1999;42(2):338â€“46.
- Baizabal-Carvallo JF, Delgadillo-MÃ¡rquez G, GarcÃa-Ramos G, EstaÃ±ol B. Clinical characteristics and outcomes of the meningitides in systemic lupus erythematosus. Eur Neurol. 2009;61:143â€“8.
- Steup-Beekman GM, Zirkzee EJM, Cohen D, et al. Neuropsychiatric manifestations in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: epidemiology and radiology pointing to an immune-mediated cause. Ann Rheum Dis. 2013;72(2):1176â€“9.
- Morrison E, Carpentier S, Shaw E, Doucette S, Hanly J. Neuropsychiatric systemic lupus erythematosus: association with global disease activity. Lupus. 2014;23(4):370â€“7.
- Hanly JG, Urowitz MB, Su L, et al. Prospective analysis of neuropsychiatric events in an international disease inception cohort of patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Ann Rheum Dis. 2010; 69(3):529â€“35.
- Julian LJ, Yelin E, Yazdany J, et al. Depression, medication adherence, and service utilization in systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum. 2009;61(2):240â€“6.
- Stojanovich L, Zandman-goddard G, Pavlovich S, Sikanich N. Psychiatric
- manifestations in systemic lupus erythematosus. Autoimmun Rev. 2007;6:421â€“6.